22 August 2018

Welcome to the world, McKay Taylor!

I can hardly believe it's been two weeks since we had our THIRD baby! The time has gone by SO fast, which is funny considering how slowly time drags during those last few weeks of pregnancy.

This pregnancy was pretty different from my two previous and not what we had become used to! I was on progesterone injections from week 17-36 (although I took my last one at week 33). These were given as a means to help me stay pregnant as long as possible. With Tucker, I went into labor in the 35th week, with Benny in the 36th week. So when both of those milestones came and went, we felt like we were entering uncharted territory!

I had my final meeting with Maternal Fetal Medicine when I was 36 weeks and 4 days (officially the day that marked the longest I'd ever been pregnant.) At this appointment, they checked baby's size and he was measuring exactly 8 pounds (for perspective, Benson was born one day prior in gestation and was just under 10 pounds. So to me, 8 pounds sounded amazing!) The perinatologist was concerned about a few things in relation to my diabetes- she wasn't happy with my numbers...which is kind of bonkers because I had been doing SO well. This particular doctor was the only MFM doctor I hadn't met (through each of my three pregnancies) but had heard that she was brutal (for lack of better wording). So, she didn't fail to measure up to her reputation and I was feeling pretty crappy about how hard I had been working- but I tried to put on my happy face and not let her intimidate me. Anywho, she recommended that I be induced between 37-38 weeks.

I immediately left that appointment and headed for my next appointment which was with my OB. I let him know everything she had said, and he mostly agreed with me and made me feel better about how I had been doing. When I told him what she recommended for induction, he said "Ok! I'll call the hospital and schedule it!" Which took me aback! He even said, "If you are ready and just want to schedule it for Monday, we can do that!" (This was on a Thursday, mind you.) I thought about it for a second and considered it. However, Taylor had been saying how he wanted the baby to be born on 8/8/18 since the beginning of the pregnancy, which was only two days later. So I asked if we could do it on that day and he said sure! So I left there with a plan to meet our baby the next week! (sidenote- I left these appointments and ended up having lots of contractions for hours and we went to labor and delivery and ended up getting sent home because everything stopped- of course, haha.)

We took the next few days to prepare and get everything ready for our baby! The hospital called me on Tuesday to let me know to come in the next morning at 6:15 AM. My mom came that night to sleep over so the boys would have someone to watch them.

I got up at 5 and got a few last minute things ready and had some breakfast. We were told to call labor and delivery before heading in to make sure they had a room for us. We called at 5:45 and they said we were good to go! So we left!

On the drive over we talked about how weird it was that we were driving to the hospital and weren't going to be sent away and were going to leave with our baby!! I had been preparing to go unmedicated and so we chatted about that as well. It was something that I wanted to do and experience, but I didn't "train" or prepare too hardcore. I knew that if things were to go differently than expected that I handled the epidural well and that I wouldn't let myself get disappointed about getting it.

We arrived at Labor and Delivery just after 6:15 and waited until they could get us back into a room. We were finally in our room at about 7 or just after. They went through the annoyances of checking us in and all that, and then finally by 8:30 they got my pitocin started. Prior to getting my IV placed I was feeling SO nauseous and just about threw up (I think eating breakfast at 5 did not do me any favors.)

They started me on my group-B strep antibiotics and pitocin at a starting level and then we were just playing the waiting game. I came in dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced. Time passed and we watched shows and movies and talked. I was checked a couple of times every couple of hours- each time with NO progress. And after each time, she would up my pitocin. It started at an 8 and the maximum amount they would give is 20. So each time with no progress, I was getting more pitocin, which was making the contractions stronger and fairly close together. I spent most of the time standing and swaying.

It was almost 2 at this point (5 1/2 hours of pitocin) and she checked me again. I was still a 3 and still the same effacement. At this point, I was so frustrated and honestly wanted to cry. The pain was bearable- but it was still pain and NOT doing anything! The next step would be to break my water. I knew after this, it would get really really intense. I was worried about being able to relax when thinking about how I still had to dilate 7 more cm and endure the pain of no cushion from the waters. I asked the nurse to give us some time to think about what we wanted to do. We took probably 20-30 minutes to make a decision. When she came back we told her that I wanted to get the epidural and then have them break my water.

Just before 3 my epidural was placed and then not too long after that the doctor came and broke my water. The doctor on call that day was the same doctor who delivered Benson so I was excited at the thought of him delivering this baby as well. As it got closer to the shift change (which happens at 6) I was thinking he probably wouldn't be the one delivering this baby.

Despite having the epidural, I was still in quite a bit of pain. First in my ribs, and then so much pain and pressure in my pelvis. I had the anesthesiologist come back and help and he gave a manual bolus through my epidural line that was supposed to help. After about 30 minutes it finally did help, but almost too well because I couldn't feel anything!

I was checked again around 5 and they said I was about a 6 and mostly effaced. Not even an hour later the doctor came in and said (this was right before shift change) that he was bummed he wasn't going to be able to deliver our baby but said "Should just be a few more hours and then you're done!" Which gave us hope.

We were also getting a new nurse at shift change and so we were just waiting for her to come in and introduce herself. At 6:15 she finally came in and said hi. She said she would come back in about an hour to check me. I told her it had been a little more than an hour since I had been checked and asked if she could just see where I was at so we knew where we were. She said sure. As she goes to check, she laughs and then says, "Ok. Don't sneeze, don't cough and don't laugh. I'm going to run and get the doctor." I was confused, so I asked, "Am I fully dilated then??" Her response- "Yes and his head is RIGHT there." I said, "What!! Are you kidding?!" And she said, "I don't joke about these things." And then ran to get the doctor. Haha.

Everything happened SO fast after this. I was slightly freaking out because of the speed of it all (after what felt like a very long day that was going to continue to drag.) The doctor (who was the same one I saw at my last prenatal visit and had scheduled the induction) came in and quickly got suited up and we got situated and ready to push! He told me that he would let me know when I was having a contraction and then I could push. We waited for a minute and then he said, ok push! I pushed for the duration of the 10 seconds that they have you hold your breath. Right when the 10 seconds was over, he told me to stop pushing and that baby's head was out. He said, "I can see some chubby cheeks!" Then he basically pulled him the rest of the way out and he was here!! As he was coming out, the doctor said, "Look down here, mom" and I saw our baby for the first time and couldn't believe it!

He was laid on my chest and they cleaned him all off before taking him to the warmer to get his airways cleaned a bit. He was absolutely perfect and I just couldn't believe he was here!! They brought him back to me and I immediately snuggled him and just couldn't hold in the tears! My sweet rainbow baby who I had been longing to meet was here. I latched him on to breastfeed and he did so well! He fed the entire time we were in the room (which was more than an hour!)

We stayed in the hospital till Friday morning. He had a few blood sugar issues at first, but with a little help they quickly came up. The boys got to come meet him on Thursday morning and it was adorable and perfect. Benson is obsessed with him and wants to give him all the kisses and hugs (we are just working on being gentle). Tucker loves him, but in a softer, sweeter way. We had lots of family visitors and are so grateful for everyone who got to come meet him in the hospital and the few days after.

Taylor was able to take the next week "off" from work and do more of a work from home, lighter work week to help transition into the three kids dynamic.

It's now my first full week of all the boys by myself at home, and so far it's going pretty well. The older boys are still rambunctious and sometimes naughty and defiant but it has otherwise been a smooth transition.

McKay is the sweetest, snuggliest, most patient little guy and we love him SO much. I just can't believe we have another baby! He is the perfect addition to our family and we couldn't love him more.





Forever grateful for one of my best friends and her amazing talent in capturing this video for us. We will cherish it forever! Thank you, Hillary!!




McKay Taylor Jeffery
8/8/2018
6:25 pm
9 pounds, 2 ounces
20.5 inches








































No comments: