23 December 2014

the gift.

As I have gotten older, I've come to learn that life is hard. But I have also been blessed to realize that it is absolutely wonderful. In those hard, trying moments you discover how truly blessed you are. Or at least I have.

I have so much to be grateful for, always. But I have been especially blessed this year.

I have so much.
And this year, for Christmas, I wanted nothing more than to be with my sweet, little family.



The story of the Savior's birth is one of my absolute favorite stories of Christ's life. Everyone knows the account of Wise Men's travels to Bethlehem to meet and worship the newborn babe in a manger. I imagine that Mary must have been so scared. And thrilled. I feel like now that I have brought a life into this world, I can better sympathize with some of the emotions she was feeling. Having a baby in and of itself is wonderfully terrifying. But for that baby to be the Son of God and the Savior of the world? What an incredible job Mary and Joseph had to be the ones to bring this child into the world and raise him.

"Mary, did you know?" is one of my favorite Christmas songs. This rendition is stunningly beautiful and will leave you with chills. I have listened to it multiple times every day since I came across it. The words are so powerful.




Mary, did you know that your baby boy would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know that your baby boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that you've delivered, will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know that your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know that your baby boy will calm a storm with his hand?
Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
When you kiss your little baby, you kiss the face of God.

Mary, did you know? Mary, did you know? Mary, did you know?
Mary, did you know? Mary, did you know? Mary, did you know?

The blind will see, the deaf will hear and the dead will live again.
The lame will leap, the dumb will speak, the praises of the lamb.

Mary, did you know that your baby boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary, did you know that your baby boy would one day rule the nations?
Did you know that your baby boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
That sleeping child you're holding is the great I am.

Mary, did you know? Mary, did you know? Mary, did you know?




When you think about the Gift that the Father gave us- His Son- any other gift that we could give pales in comparison. I know that God loves us with a love that we cannot even fathom. I can't wrap my head around it. When I think about how much I love my sweet baby, I get a small glimpse of what this love is like.




The first gift was not wrapped, 
had no bow, wasn't purchased online or in a store.
The first gift of Christmas was a simple gift.
A sacred gift.
It wasn't gold, or frankincense, or myrrh.
It was a gift of love. 
and life.
and peace.
and hope.
Given by a father to all his children.
"For god so loved the world..."
And so loved you, and you, and you,
and every single one of us-
He gave His Son.
He is the Christ. 
He is Christmas.
He is the gift.
This Christmas season- 
discover the gift. 
Embrace the gift.


I hope you and yours can remember the real reason we celebrate this blessed holiday. Merry Christmas!

No comments: